Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Wu's Garden

Today I visited Wu’s Garden located in Leola, PA for lunch formerly occupied by Golden Dragon Chinese Restaurant and Buffet. I had heard about Wu’s Garden opening at this location but this was my first chance to give them a try, as I considered what to eat for lunch while being in the area at the time.

I walked in to a clean and fresh scented dining room and was quickly greeted and seated. I was given a menu and the hostess quickly pointed out the lunch special section of the menu. She asked what I would like to drink and I requested water (my usual). My water was fetched promptly and was served in a goblet style glass with ice.

The menu consisted primarily of typical Chinese dishes but also featured a Thai section as well as some intermittent Japanese appetizers and Udon. Kim Chee also made an appearance on the roster. All of the lunch specials featured on the menu were reasonably priced under $7.00 and offered the entrée served with fried rice and choice of soup or soda. I decided to choose Chicken with Garlic Sauce as I always do when trying Chinese restaurants for the first time. This has always been my “go-to” dish that I first base my Chinese restaurant comparisons on. I requested to have vegetable fried rice instead of pork fried rice and this was accommodated for. Instead of a soda I chose Hot and Sour Soup. Before making this choice though I asked if all the soups they listed on their menu were available choices and was told that the only soups that could be chosen with the lunch special were Egg Drop, Wonton, or Hot and Sour.

The waitress shuffled off to the kitchen to place the order and returned with a bowl of crispy fried noodles and duck sauce for dipping. Shortly thereafter my soup arrived. The soup seemed a little too congealed to me but not unbearable and could have certainly been much worse. The good thing though, was that the soup was actually HOT AND SOUR!!! I can’t tell you how many times I have had this soup at other establishments where neither of these flavor profiles could be tasted. I was pleased about this. Before I could finish my soup the rest of the meal arrived on a large rectangular white plate. Garlic wafted through the air and put a smile on my face as it triggered a salivatory response; I couldn’t wait to dig in. The Chicken with Garlic Sauce was good and ginger also announced its presence in each bite. The vegetable fried rice was slightly dry and bland but this was quickly remedied with a splash of soy sauce. Mixing some of the Garlic Sauce into the rice made a tasteful combination as well.

Throughout my dining experience I was always approached with a cheery smile. The dining room was clean and the air was fresh. Water refills were timely and the food was also timed right, for the most part. The food was good and the prices for lunch specials attractive. A fortune cookie dessert accompanied my bill and the fortune read: You will be successful in love. I thought about this and related it to my love for food and drink, dining, and sharing experiences with others. All motives for creating this blog.

I do plan on returning to Wu’s Garden next time I am in the Leola area and would encourage you to do the same. They have only been open for close to two months at this point but with tasty food, attractive prices and friendly service they should be given consideration. Takeout is also available.

FYI: Wu's Garden has coupons available in Clipper Magazine and also at this link:
http://couponclipper.com/loc/WU-S-GARDEN

Wu’s Garden
354 W. Main St.
Leola, PA 17540
(717) 656-4388

2 comments:

  1. I love Chinese I will be trying them out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check it out and let us know what you think. Hopefully your experience is equal or better than the one I had. But, if it wasn't be SURE to let us know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete