Sunday, October 24, 2010

Aromas Del Sur

  On Friday October 22, 2010 I had the opportunity to visit a new Colombian establishment in Ephrata, PA called Aromas Del Sur, literally translating to "aromas of the south".  The space was previously occupied by an establishment named The Edgewater.

  I was told about this new restaurant by a coworker earlier in the week and had also confirmed it's existence with another acquaintance of Colombian descent.  I knew that I had to make my way over there as I try to always be one of the first to experience new eateries in the area.  Honestly,  I was slightly disappointed in myself that I had not known about the opening of Aroma Del Sur sooner.

  Upon arrival to Aromas Del Sur, I noticed their sign out front labeled themselves as a"Spanish food" establishment but the colors they chose for their sign and building clearly mimicked the national colors of the Colombian flag (red, blue and yellow).  I questioned why they would label themselves as "Spanish" but then came to the assumption that this was possibly a marketing tactic.  Lancaster County, Pennsylvania has a reputation nationally as being "The Home of the Amish" and many do not realize that a city also exists here.  While Lancaster County is the home of many Amish and different sects of Mennonites, the city itself has a high Latino population, primarily of Puerto Rican descent.  I've noticed in my time and experience here that the Puerto Rican population here commonly refers to themselves and their cuisine as "Spanish".  I believe that Aroma Del Sur should pronounce their origin but I also understand their strategy, especially in an area of Lancaster County removed from the city like Ephrata.

  I entered the restaurant and found a few tables occupied with patrons.  I was quickly seated and given a menu to peruse.  The tables were adequately spaced and the interior was dim.  I noticed some of the traditional Colombian dishes that I expected such as Bandeja Paisa and Chicharrones along with other national favorites.  I was approached by the waitress who was very friendly and helpful regarding questions I had about the menu and in selecting my meal choices.  Ultimately, I chose their Carne Asada with an Empanada and Moro as my beverage.  The waitress helped me make my final decision on the Moro (blackberry juice) and offered it either blended with milk or water, to which she suggested the milk combination.  I chose this and received a blackberry milkshake essentially which was delicious.  My empanada (fried turnover) arrived with an accompanying salsa.  The empanada was perfectly fried but was smaller than expected.  The salsa served to be a pleasant addition the empanada and was not too hot, at least to my liking.  My entree arrived shortly thereafter and I noted their swiftness to the waitress.  The arrival of my entree did not overlap with my time consuming my appetizer, therefore not making me feel 'rushed' to complete my meal and get out.  The Carne Asada entree came served in two dishes.  The main dish held the Carne Asada, a flattened steak that was marinated and grilled, along with some cole slaw.  The cole slaw was rustic and featured lime juice with cilantro in its blend that asserted its brightness.  The second dish contained white rice and beans with sauce.  The salsa that was served with my empanada proved to be an excellent addition to the Carne Asada and I consumed the whole steak using this condiment.

  Aromas Del Sur is a new Colombian restaurant located in Ephrata, PA and has only been open approximately three weeks at this point.  They have not yet held their Grand Opening as they are still testing the waters with their dishes.  The restaurant is a collaboration between three families and the wait staff are helpful and friendly.  As I neared the completion of my meal I was approached by one of the owners to check on my satisfaction which made me feel more valued as a customer.  Their food was prepared fresh and was tasty.  Their prices were very reasonable as well and a good value.  Aromas Del Sur is one of two Colombian restaurants in Lancaster County and I certainly plan on returning.  Ephrata, PA does not have much ethnic food so this place definitely stands out in that respect.  My only concern is the demographics of that area affecting the success of the restaurant but I encourage anyone who would like to try Colombian cuisine to visit Aromas Del Sur.  Takeout is also available.      

Aromas Del Sur
358 S. State St.
Ephrata, PA 17522

2 comments:

  1. I found this blog while searching for more information about Aromas Del Sur. I just ate there last night, and the food is very well-prepared. I hope the restaurant succeeds; there's nothing quite like it in the immediate area.

    I hope to read about more restaurants here in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who has told me nothing but great things about this place. He has introduced me to Columbian food and I have yet to come out and check Aromas del sur!

    ReplyDelete